Pik-28 aircraft philosophy
This aircraft is designed to be easily built and fun to fly.
Today and in near future. This is achieved using power plants that are available today and now.
But energy system is designed so that liquid bio fuels are compatible with everything.
Carbon neutral aircraft is possible for DIY builder.
Feasible solution is to use biofuel in combustion engine.
Resulting aircraft is usable if this requirement is taken into account from start of design process.
Engines are not yet today ready for this, but if you select an engine, that can use leadfree petrol, then it potentionally ready for biofuel conversion.
All data, plans and drawings are provided with Creative Commons license. See in more details in License.
Means to archive the eary built goal are:
- Aircraft is mainly of wooden construction, which means that every single works step is relatively small and does not require lots of work or skills.
- Parts that are available/can be bought, are used.
- Modern work methods which can be bought from subcontractors are used.
- Amount of the work do be done is over 51%, which is the limit for do-it-yourself aircraft in most countries. Presently our calculted level of amateur work is about 74%. So there are plenty of other items that can be bought without breaking the 51% limit.
You can calculate your level of fabrication with the supplied spreadsheet HTO-001.
Fun to fly
This is a bit more complicated to prove. As we do not have anything available for test flight. Which is the only true evidence you should believe.
Some design guidelines we have followed to archieve this are:
- Experience from Pik-11 are used. And the deficiency found are corrected.
- Fast enough to visit distance locations.
- Enought fuel, so that you do not need to constantly look for fuel gauges.
- Light powerfull controls. It will do barrel rolls, but with a gentleman way. Not as competition aerobatic plane.
- Roomy, with good ergonometrics.